Club Colours (1938 to 1970)
Rothes wore black and white from the club’s inception as a Highland League club in 1938 right through until 1961, save for a three-season switch to green and white between 1955-56 and 1957-58.
This 1950s kit change did not get off to the best of starts. In the first round of the Scottish Cup, due to be played on 10 September 1955, Rothes were drawn to meet Buckie Thistle at the Jags' Victoria Park ground but the Scottish Football Association ordered Buckie Thistle and Rothes to change their strips as both clubs wore green and white. The Banffshire Journal on 6 September 1955 informed its readers that "Rothes recently changed their club colours to green and white, the same as Buckie's" but this is one of only two references to Rothes' 1955 to 1958 change of colours which has so far been identified by this website. On 3 May 1958 the Northern Scot intimated that "the club are to apply to the Highland League to change their colours from green to their original black and white".
The official RFC website includes a team photograph captioned "Season 1955/56 season". This is reproduced below. The kit is clearly not black and white, nor is it green and white so more research of this period is thus required to be carried out by this website.
Various online records indicate that “amber” was adopted by the Speysiders during Season 1961-62, but there is no press record of this topic being raised at the 1961 AGM at the end of March or the reverse decision at the 1962 AGM. The team photograph shown below is captioned "Season 1961-62" by the official website. If the players are wearing the "home" strip then they do not look to be wearing black and white but neither is it a single colour so "amber" is not an accurate description. We will of course keep looking but the absence of colour team photographs makes the task that wee bit harder. The following season, 1962-63, it was back to black and this remained the club's chosen colour combination until the decision was made to change to tangerine and black in June 1970.